Course Three - Defended Small Claims Court Matters
Sometimes a debtor will oppose a claim and file a defence in response to the claim form. It depends upon the value of the claim as to how the court will deal with this. If the defence has some merit, the dispute will very likely to proceed to a trial unless the parties can reach terms. Generally, claims of a value not exceeding £10,000 will be dealt with in the small claims track of the court system.
You should not be fearful of dealing with defended small claims court matters without legal representation. The courts are used to dealing with litigants who do not have legal representation in small claims, given that the recovery of legal costs is severely restricted.
If the value of the claim is less than £10,000, it will likely be dealt with as a small claim by the courts. This is an important factor, as generally the court will not order that solicitor costs incurred in a small claim are recoverable, regardless of who wins or loses.
If the claim is of a value greater than £10,000 we recommend you consult a solicitor, as if not a small claims court claim, you will be at risk of paying the debtor’s legal costs if the claim is unsuccessful.
With regard to defended small claims matter, we deal with:
- How to deal with a defence and what happens next
- Completing a directions questionnaire
- Preparing a reply to defence
- Preparing a defence to counterclaim
- Preparing witness statements and documents for trial
- Offers and small claims mediation
- What to expect at trial and what you should know to improve your chances
Course Price £150
Our Courses And Materials
We offer three courses to get your claims from start to finish. By the end of the three courses you will be able to deal with both straight forward undisputed claims and defended small claims.
When you buy access to an online course you will receive immediate access to:
- Our video available to watch at your own pace and as often as you like for a year from purchase. We know you are busy and we teach you what you need to know. We don’t put content in our videos as filler.
- Example content for you to use in the forms and documents you will need to complete. You will need to amend the documents to fit the details of your case but the content is an invaluable starting point.
- A concise sheet containing links to all the rules and forms you will need.
Access to the materials is for a full year.